Friday, December 9, 2016

Day 13 of Advent- Dec. 9th

advent-devotional-2016Dec. 9 - Psalm 6- Michael Thornhill (CCO)


How Long....


 I recall a time in my life when I experienced a great trial that caused me much inward turmoil.  I even pondered before God if He would spare me and take me home!!  Alas there is another way.... lament.  This psalm of David reminds us of the trajectory of lament.


Lament is directing our cries toward Him.  Not to our enemies, not to our friends or family but 1st and most often to Him!  


In this Psalm David acknowledges God as the biggest fish to reckon with before all others.  From there we see lament begin to place us where we are.  Lament attunes us to what is actually happening in the world and rehumanizes us.  Whilst directing our attention to the one who can truly save us.  Sparing us from superficial, weak solutions that will ultimately ruin us.  


Like David, we must not go around the wall, nor run from it, but through.  On the other side is lasting joy and the deep healing we long for.  Lament bows under the weight of its burden, yet reaches out for the only one who can truly bear it all.


If you are anything like me, after reading something like this I wonder, " what's next?"


Let's take a note out of Psalm 6.  Grab a writing utensil and pad.  Start a letter that begins with these words, "How long, oh Lord....". Now finish the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Many Sayings of Dr. Martin Sanders

  My last picture with Dr. Martin Sanders Two days ago, Dr. Martin Sanders passed away. I knew Martin in several capacities. A mentor of min...